Female Basketball Player

Alumni Profile: Michaela Galvin ’12, ’18G

What did you study at PSU?

I studied Childhood Studies, Elementary Education with a Teacher Certification K-8 during my undergrad years (2008-2012). In 2015, I began taking courses through PSU’s TESOL Program to earn my master’s in education, language and linguistics with a Certification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.

Man and woman post run holding medals

What are you doing now?

I am currently in my 6th year teaching and I taught 2nd & 3rd grade in Pelham starting the school year after graduating from Plymouth. After working towards my masters for the last few years, I got hired to teach 6th Grade English and Social Studies at the Stoklosa Middle School in Lowell, MA, to teach a 50 percent ELL (English Language Learner) population.

I’ve also tried to continue sharing my love for athletics with my students as much as possible. Sports have had such an incredible impact on my life – the person I am today – especially my experience on the PSU Women’s Basketball team. Since graduating, I’ve been coaching field hockey & basketball at various high schools and youth programs in Southern NH and MA. I just finished up my first season as the Girls Middle School Basketball coach at Stoklosa Middle School, where I currently teach.

How did being an athlete help prepare you for where you are today?

Women standing in gym smiling

Being a student athlete at Plymouth State will challenge you; it will certainly help you grow; help you succeed academically; it will give you a group of lifelong friends. But perhaps the most meaningful lesson of the many I learned as a PSU student athlete was the lesson of humility. Being a student-athlete for four years at PSU gave me the strength of will to face any challenge with excitement and passion, qualities which continue to bring good things in all aspects of my life. 🙂